The largest renewable energy project in Wisconsin is moving forward. The Public Service Commission of Wisconsin (PSCW) has unanimously approved Wisconsin Public Service (WPS) and We Energies’ purchase of the Koshkonong Solar Energy Center.
The Koshkonong Solar Energy Center features 300 megawatts (MW) of solar generation — which is equal to powering about 90,000 homes — and 165 MW of battery storage, which can store solar-generated power and discharge it when the sun goes down. It will be built in Dane County.
The PSCW’s approval is another important step in WPS and its parent company WEC Energy Group achieving their goal of investing $5.4 billion in renewable energy projects in Wisconsin in the coming years. These investments will help create a bright, sustainable future, while providing customers approximately $2 billion of savings over the next 20 years.
“We appreciate the Commission and staff’s thorough review, and the Commission’s unanimous approval of this project. The Koshkonong Solar Energy Center is the largest renewable energy project in Wisconsin. This project is an important part of our plan to aggressively reduce greenhouse gas emissions while providing customers affordable, reliable and clean energy,” said Scott Lauber, president and CEO — WEC Energy Group. “Combining utility-scale solar with battery storage will allow us to extend the benefits of renewable energy and provide our customers sunshine after sunset.”
WPS and We Energies will own 90% of the project. Madison Gas and Electric will own the other 10%.
Construction on the project is expected to start later this year and be complete by the end of 2025.
WEC Energy Group has committed to industry-leading emission reduction goals from electric generation — 60% below 2005 levels by the end of 2025, 80% below 2005 levels by the end of 2030, and net carbon neutral by the end of 2050.