The first large-scale solar and battery project in Wisconsin history is moving forward. The Public Service Commission of Wisconsin unanimously approved WEC Energy Group’s purchase of the Paris Solar-Battery Park.
Located on about 1,500 acres in the Town of Paris in Kenosha County, the Paris Solar-Battery Park will host up to 750,000 solar panels. The facility features 200 megawatts (MW) of solar generation, which is equal to powering 60,000 homes, and 110 MW of battery storage, which can store solar-generated power and discharge it when the sun goes down.
WEC Energy Group utilities We Energies and Wisconsin Public Service will own 90% of the project. Madison Gas and Electric will own the other 10%.
“We appreciate the commission and staff’s thorough review and the commission’s approval of this historic project. Combining utility-scale solar with battery storage will allow us to extend the benefits of renewable energy and provide our customers ‘sunshine after sunset,’” said Scott Lauber, president and CEO — WEC Energy Group. “The Paris Solar-Battery Park is part of our commitment to invest $3.5 billion in renewable energy projects in the coming years. These investments will help us aggressively reduce greenhouse gas emissions while providing affordable, reliable and clean energy for a sustainable future.”
Construction of the Paris Solar-Battery Park is scheduled to start in 2022, and the project is expected to go into service in 2023.
WEC Energy Group has committed to industry leading emission reduction goals from electric generation — 60% below 2005 levels by the end of 2025, 80% below 2005 levels by the end of 2030, and net carbon neutral by 2050.